Saturday, April 21, 2007

Self, No Self

I think I still don't entirely grasp the Buddhist concept of no-self.

Every time I think I have the gist of it, I stumble across something on the web or in a book that gives a new slant on it, and I have to go back and rethink it.

What if there truly is no self? The first time I encountered that notion, it left me a little uneasy. I think that happens to everyone. At first, I didn't want there to not be a me.

But then I thought, 'you know, if I'm not real -- not a separate, independent entity -- that makes things a lot easier.'

Think about all the stuff we have in our culture that goes along with being a self:

Self-respect
Self-doubt
Self-motivation
Self-loathing
Self-love
Self-questioning
Self-sabotage
Self-confidence...

If there's no self, you can wipe all that stuff off the table with a broad sweep of your arm and then have some pancakes.

2 comments:

Nina said...

Who is the self rethinking and examining things?

And the questioning problem ridden me is the one asking for resolution. Is this me even asking good questions?

My head hurts...never mind.

Gertrude said...

Just surfing by. I like this. I think the concept of self in entirely unknown.