Tuesday, November 17, 2009

32 more years?! I'd rather not.

I see where Edward Woodward, star of 'Breaker Morant' and the TV series 'The Equalizer' has died. He was 89.

89! That would be 32 more years for me, and I can not imagine spending 32 more years on this world. 89 years on planet earth — good lord.

And god knows what this world will be like in 32 years. I'm not optimistic. 50 bank executives will be trillionaires and the rest of us will be living in tarpaper shacks. And it will be 120 in the shade in August.

When I had my blackout in the back yard the other day, my nurse friend Kathryn came over to check on me and lecture me about seeing a doctor and taking better care of myself. "You could have died," she admonished me. "You may have had a heart attack."

I guess she expected more of a response from me to the words 'heart attack,' because she narrowed her eyes, pushed her face a little closer to mine, and asked, "Do you care?"

"No," I replied frankly. The thought of being crippled by a stroke and warehoused in a nursing home for 20 years scares the shit out of me, but if I had hit the ground dead the other day rather than merely unconscious, well, what would have been the harm in that?

There are people who have lived rougher lives than mine and persevered. Stephen Hawking is ten times the man I'll ever be, and I salute him for his achievements.

But I'm an ordinary guy living an ordinary life, with some ups and some downs, and there's nothing so special about it that I feel like I need to have it drag on another thirty years.

No comments: