Friday, July 27, 2012

Another update

Guess it's time for an update. I have completed nine chemotherapy sessions. They warned me the effects would be cumulative, and indeed they are.

I rarely get out of bed during chemo weeks now. I have been able to drive myself to the hospital for the Monday infusions, but during the eighth session, I got so sick while I was still at the hospital, I had to call a friend to drive me home. She brought another friend to drive my car, and I got home OK.

I think I have mentioned this before, but my chemo session every other Monday involves about three hours in the infusion center. They load me up with close to a half gallon of various IV drugs. Then they attach a portable pump to me, which drips 5FU into my system for 48 hours. And when that's over, I'm completely hammered. I can't drive. In fact, at this point, I can barely walk when the 5FU is done. It gets worse every session. But I have to go back to the hospital to have the pump disconnected. I thought I was going to need a wheelchair last Wednesday. I made it out of the hospital under my own power, but just barely.

Nausea is still a problem. I've been through a couple of different medications. They all work a little, but nothing is completely effective. So I throw up a lot. At least it gets me out of bed.

Chemo is going to cost in the mid-six figures. Insurance will cover almost all of that, but it looks like my co-pay for each sessions is going to be about $600, which means the whole thing will cost me about $7200 out of pocket. My total out-of-pocket expenses are going to be in the range of $40,000 - $50,000. I've already paid most of that.

Do not try to send me money. I don't need it. I can cover this myself, and I'm very grateful I can. But these dollar figures should give you some idea, if you don't already know, how a catastrophic illness can destroy a family financially.

5 comments:

sweeney said...

I'm glad to see you got your blog site back. And although I read your FB updates regularly, it's interesting to see the wider sweeping view you post here.

I don't know if others have commented in email or f-t-f on your cost of cancer numbers, but I'm sure it's eye-opening for many.

sweeney

Anonymous said...

The name "5FU" cracks me up every time I see it. I hope the allusion was intentional. Sorry this is all hitting you so hard, Mike.


Lark

patrizia said...

I'm always happy when you blog, Mike. Like sweeney sez, you're thoughtful and your thoughts always link to an interesting context.

It's a failing of my personality, I suppose, that I have to see everything in a narrative context. It sounds as though the chemo is doing exactly what it's supposed to do as awful as the experience is. It's a conveyor belt thru the House of Horrors. When you take the seatbelt off on the other side, the sun will be shining.

Unknown said...

Its so nice post Thanks for sharing with me !!!!!!


Also click on these keywords :-- Security Monitoring | burglar alarm | Wireless Home alarm | Home alarm |

Unknown said...

mcarp,

I was a friend of Bob Schadel and I used to drink with him at Lindys from 3/2001 to 9-15-2001.

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind

chuck jackson

charles.jackson2015@hotmail.com