Thursday, November 20, 2008

Antisocial behavior

Someone suggested the other day that my iPhone is making me more antisocial. I go to the coffee shop, and instead of talking to other people, I sit and play iPhone games or surf the web.

The truth is I'm not much of a conversationalist and most of the time I prefer to just listen.

I also often prefer to be around an ad hoc social group without being a part of it.

My social life is much busier now than it has been in years past. At my last job, one of my coworkers was astonished to learn that I usually ate lunch alone. Three years later, it's normal for me to eat lunch with others.

I spent most of my adolescence and adult years alone. I had few friends. Most evenings I stayed home and read, and for a while, watched TV. My ingrained preference is to be antisocial. It still requires some effort for me to go out and be with other people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you did, MCARP. It's a pleasure to know you and hang out with you, break bread with you.

while I would never never encourage you to become attached to the opinions of others, for what it's worth, I have a very high opinion of you. I hope you knew that already.

I think I'm more mercurial than you. There are times when I'm reclusive and times when I'm gregarious. Both have their pleasures and downsides. The trick is to get the right mix and listen to the universe about which way to tack next.

Love ya, guy. Keep on bloggin'.

Blogblah

Anonymous said...

I am like you MCarp. I have to make myself be social and I much prefer to be alone or at home. I will go for days without going outside or to town. However, I'm raising a 4yr old granddaughter, and I'm now responsible for opening up her social life and preparing her for school. I have been going to school parent club meetings, been elected to the Policy Council, enrolled her in ballet, tap and tumbling and have to drive a 70 mile round trip once a week for that. I also have been volunteering for school activities and I find myself in very awkward positions with other people, even children. I have lost my social skills, since staying to myself pretty much, except for my husband, who is very adept at being social and friendly. Most people take me as being unfriendly and rude. I don't like to be that way, and regret being so antisocial for so long, it's hard to come back. I could stay at home and never see anyone else again and be perfectly content, but that won't happen. I would eventually have to go to the store for supplies. But I don't mean to be so antisocial, I am comfortable with myself and that's what matters. I would love to have a good friend, that would accept me as I am, and my husband does, but sometimes I want a female friend to talk about female stuff with, but I do like being in my home as is. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.