Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Nothing I need to know


Many months ago, I posted a couple of items about so-called 'celebrity news' cluttering up my brain. I tend to see this stuff as the intellectual equivalent of the junk piled up in my car and house. There must be hundreds of bits of such stuff that I wish I could just wipe from my memory.

It occurred to me recently that there's also a lot of non-celebrity news that I don't need to know or want to know. This is especially true about second-hand news (ie, gossip) about people I barely know or don't know at all.

It's not so much that I'm morally outraged by the stuff as it is that I just don't want more clutter in my brain. It's like getting that damn 'Buyer's Guide' from the newspaper every week. I don't subscribe to the paper, and I never open the guide, but it shows up nonetheless — a regular weekly nuisance. At least I can throw it away unopened; the junk news that I hear around the neighborhood just stays stuck in my brain.

There's not much I need to know anymore. I spend a large part of many days sitting in the backyard watching birds. Now that fall has arrived, I often sit with the fireplace going, watching the flames and listening to music.

I'd be happy to trade about half of my supposed knowledge for an equal amount of wisdom.

No comments: