Sunday, October 10, 2010

Random Notes

Ordered a book called "The Harvard Psychedelic Club" last week after hearing its author interviewed on public radio's "New Dimensions" last Sunday. The book is a popular history of the psychedelic drug experiments performed by Harvard professors Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert in the early sixties, and what happened to them and their associates after that. It was a fascinating book; I read it in one sitting.

It also led to some other books I am now working my way through. I'll write more on those later.

I'm also listening to a new (to me) collection of Alan Watts lectures released as "You're It: On Hiding, Seeking and Being Found" on the Sounds True label. I don't understand the impact Watts' recorded lectures have on me. I don't have a word to describe it. I would recommend his lectures to anyone suffering stress or anxiety. It's not just the subject matter, which is, of course, what first interested me. Watts could be reading the phone directory aloud and I would still get a sense of ease and relaxation from listening.

Watts, incidentally, was peripherally involved at the outset of the Leary/Alpert experiments at Harvard, at least according to the book. That must have been an interesting time in which to have lived. I was 10 years old when Leary and Alpert left Harvard.

My sleep cycle is now back to normal. I'm going to bed between nine and ten pm, sleeping fitfully, as I have for years. I wake up between 6:30 and 7:30 am. Some days I'll have a midday nap.

I started drinking coffee again recently, but that will have to stop. I didn't drink coffee until I was in my twenties, and I've always taken it black. I first stopped about four years ago. Coffee still screws up my stomach, I've found, so I'm going to swear off again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who has anxiety disorder who compulsively checks his pulse. It drives me insane and I'm not at all nice about it. I have told him not to do it around me and he says he can't help it. I say he does it for attention and he says I'm mean. Is it possible to keep these compulsions private? Do you think he is seeking attention, or really can't help it? He talks about his health ALL THE TIME! I told him I would ask you because you say you suffer from anxiety too. He lives alone and I'm the only person he talks to outside of his chat room of anxiety sufferers.

Mindovermary

dzaster said...

Oh, man, thanks for the book review. I vote for more posts like this.

Anonymous said...

Started reading today. Not well written but still fascinating. Seems like such a romantic time??? GIVE MORE BOOK REVIEWS. This book is worth reading.