Friday, April 01, 2011

Harmony With the Tao vs. Just Plain Crazy

I try to live in harmony with the Tao these days. But I can actually live in harmony only with my perception of the Tao, which is far from perfect. For the big picture, I can rely on old and ancient Chinese masters. But when it comes to the smaller, immediate picture, I don't have much to go on.

My New Age-y friends feel that they're achieving harmony with the Tao by advocating practices and procedures that I think are mostly utter bullshit. Which of us is right? Is it possible we both are? Could the Tao be carrying our lives in opposite directions?

Some of my friends tell me I don't rely enough on my emotions. I feel like my lack of emotion is in harmony with the Tao. My emotionalism, when I let it show, makes me seem weak and needy, and frankly disgusts and sometimes scares people. But maybe emotionalism is the right path for some other people.

Are the tea partiers in sync with the Tao? Hard for me to see how that could be, but maybe they are.

Well, the wisdom I've got is the wisdom I've got.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Balance is the key. Spontaneous emotions are natural and needed...too much of emotions tires up our being, but on the other hand suppressing them will do the same :) That's my opinion