Sunday, April 03, 2011

Love, Depression and Neediness

The times I feel loneliest seem to be generally the times I am also the most depressed. When my mood is good, I seem to be pretty comfortable with being alone. But when my mood is down, I feel like I want that archetypal willowy, ethereal hippie chick around to comfort me.

But that's 'neediness', and it runs counter to conventional wisdom in our culture. Relationships, like everything else, are supposed to be about winning, achieving, manic consuming, moving up, status, etc. — all the things for which you'd need an electron microscope to see how much of a shit I give.

Plus, relationships are also supposed to be about passion, drama, intrigue, excitement, anguish, recriminations, etc., barf, blrrrf, gorpf, snort, while all I want to do is sit with the archetypal willowy, ethereal hippie chick and watch birds.

So, my relationship prospects remain dim. I refuse to conform.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should? You've got a lot of mental construct wire holding all those shoulds and boxes you're in together. Does it occur to you that you are the one making the rules that you refuse to conform to?

Nina said...

Somewhere along the way, you may meet a woman who refuses to conform to all those "supposed to be(s)" right along with you. Then what will you do?

mcarp said...

Go out the window.

mcarp said...

Seriously, I'm 58. I'm running out of time to find a woman whose neuroses interlock with mine.