Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. On Facebook, many of my friends are using pictures of their mothers on their profiles. Many more are posting tributes.

I won't post anything about it there, because I don't want to put a damper on other people's remembrances, but this nostalgia and affection seems completely alien to me.

To me, a mother is someone who has nothing good or supportive to say to you. She's someone who tells you you're ugly. That you're clumsy. That you'll grow up to be a 'fairy'.

She's someone who is drunk almost all the time. Who occasionally disappears for two or three days at a time, only to reappear as if nothing unusual has happened. Who is occasionally carried into the house passed out drunk, with fellow barflies at each arm and leg, hauling her dead weight.

She's someone who, if you're hit by a car while crossing the street, walks into the emergency room complaining about how you've disrupted her day.

My mother and I parted ways when I was 14, and I never saw her or spoke with her again. She married another staggering, slobbering drunk (the widower of the woman my dad was screwing on the side), and they moved to a little town in the Ozarks and lived the rest of their lives there.

I know I've written about a lot of this before, but sometimes I feel the need to vent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks. You deserved better, you were just a kid. She was neglectful of you. It wasn't your fault, it had nothing to do with you, only her. I'm a mom and I want to cry for you, hug you and tell you you can be anything you want to be. You have a spark inside of you. Keep writing. Hugs from me to you, XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

that's SAD but you have to remember that she's still your mother :) i think your in the right age to FORGET and FORGIVE what she's done to you. because if you don't you just making your memories that miserable. just think Positively :) not all the mother is like that , your just unlucky of having some. well it's her LOST and not yours , pray for her . because she doesn't know the consequences of her actions. think that maybe theres something happened before that made her like that. Forget the grudge and hope you now find your happiness leave all to God. And make him your comforter. :) Godbless you.

Shirley said...

Just came across this and it made me feel so sad.