Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Real Me

mcarp the hutt.
Sometimes we lose sight of how we appear to other people. Well, at least I do. The person I see in the mirror seems to be a lot more attractive than the person other people see in the flesh.

I was keenly aware of how I appeared when I was a reporter; after all, I saw myself on television all the time. But now, many years later, I don't pay so much attention to it.

So, I was taken somewhat aback when I found this photo of myself on a friend's Facebook page. Even so, I have to accept the reality that this is how I appear to other people, and that the notion I had of my own appearance, and negative as it was, was still somewhat idealized.

Damn – I look like Baby Huey. Well, except that Baby Huey isn't pecking on an iPhone all the time.

I'm a bit thinner now than I was when this picture was taken more than a year ago, but even when I'm at my ideal weight, I'm still kind of a big, hulking mass, and not in a rugged, athletic way.

So, if you've been looking at those tiny thumbnail pics of me and wondering what the rest of me looks like, there it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And yet your kung-fu remains strong, and is getting ever stronger.

Anonymous said...

We are really twice as large as we see ourselves in the mirror. Physics. But the important stuff can't be seen.

God said...

You look fantastic. Don´t worry.