Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Michael Jackson

I try to not get caught up in pop culture stuff, but the dynamics of the Michael Jackson coverage interest me.

My own perception of Jackson at the time of his death was that he'd been incredibly big about twenty-five years ago, and since then had just been fodder for late-night comedians and supermarket tabloids.

Suddenly now (or so it seems to me), he's been elevated to a stature loftier than he ever held in life, and even people who weren't born when 'Thriller' came out are buying in to the Elvisization of Jackson.

My suspicion is that they are simply taking cues from the media coverage rather than thinking on their own. I almost think they'd have the same reaction if Al Yankovich died, assuming the media afforded him the same hysterical, overwrought coverage.

No comments: