Sunday, August 01, 2010

Beginning year four

Today marks the beginning of my fourth year of retirement. It's gone about the way I expected, with a couple of notable exceptions.

I have spent much more money than I intended to. Most of it was spent on improving the house, so I have the hope of getting a lot of it back if I need to. But there's no way I could sell this house for what I've put into it.

I've gained more weight. I expected to lose weight, being removed from the temptation to snack at my desk. But as it turns out, I'm not much more physically active now than I was when I was at a workstation all day.

My television career is so distant it seems almost like it never happened. But my final job, working in a municipal government office, seems like it ended just a year or so ago.

I'm still depressed all the time, or at least not viewing life through the same rose-colored glasses most other people seem to have. But I enjoy my time alone. I have more of that now than I've ever had in my life, and it seems to suit me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so you have discovered that you are a cloud of atoms, loosely held together by some kind of cosmic "glue," moving constantly through other clouds of atoms, loosely held together.

Once you were a "boy" and then a "newsman" and now a "something else."

Drop wood, avoid slaughter.

mcarp said...

I'm not a physicist, but 'a cloud of atoms' seems like a good way to put it. I read something about the 'Big Bang' the other day that said that in the split second before it happened, all the mass of the universe was compressed into an object about the size of a dime.

Anonymous said...

:::all the mass of the universe was compressed into an object about the size of a dime.:::

More like the size of a 5-cent Euro coin, but no reason to split hairs. Or atoms.