Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving day, 2005

My friend thought Charleston's would be open today. It wasn't. So we both got in my car and drove up and down the restaurant corridor north of the airport. Nothing was open except Denny's, so we decided on that as our 'safety' restaurant, and kept looking for our 'reach' restaurant.

There is a locally-owned place here called Eddy's. It's well north of the franchise/chain restaurant district, and has been in business since long before the others arrived. It has been open since 1967, in fact, but I had never eaten there. There were cars in the parking lot today, so we pulled in.

The Thanksgiving Day special was a traditional turkey and dressing meal, and it was perfect.

How did I go 38 years without ever eating at Eddy's?

I left my copy of 'The Tao of Pooh' with my friend, came home and took the traditional Thanksgiving nap.

What I'm reading:


"For example, one is afraid of loneliness, afraid of the ache, the pain of loneliness. Surely, that fear exists because one has never really looked at loneliness, one has never been in complete communion with it. The moment one is completely open to the fact of loneliness, one can understand what it is; but one has an idea, an opinion about it, based on previous knowledge, and it is this idea, opinion, this previous knowledge about the fact, that creates fear."


J. Krishnamurti, On Love and Loneliness


No comments: