Saturday, October 27, 2007

Life is Supposed to be Boring, part 2

The comments posted in response to my statement 'life is supposed to be boring' were all on the money.

Again, this was something I picked up during the course of some intensive life reassessment about ten years ago, and was offered to me more as advice for people whose lives are filled with drama and angst, often self-generated in order to relieve boredom.

I often say I hate drama, but that's not quite correct. I'm actually a drama junkie. It's the 'hangover' of personal drama I hate, and I hate it intensely enough that it's worth making an effort to minimize drama in my own life and to stay out of other people's drama.

But getting joy from mundane tasks is something at which I fail miserably. I hate mundane tasks. My brain seems to simply stop functioning when confronted with them. Maybe I could solve my inability to achieve a 'no-mind' meditative state by simply putting the phone bill in front of me when I sit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!

I take a handful of files out of my briefcase, put them on my desk and voila! no mind.

Anonymous said...

http://wondermark.com/d/344.html

Anonymous said...

Well, I totally agree with you about the self-generated drama and angst.

Not to go all Hallmark on you, but... just the fact that you have consciousness and are on this planet where you can see and hear and feel etc is a tremendous gift.

Lark said...

Not joy from mundane tasks, but from the small ordinary moments of life.

Must try the phone bill meditation tonight.