Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More non-attachment

One of the best things for me about non-attachment is not having to worry about things so much. Developing non-attachment in regards to a certain area or thing is like marking an item off your 'to-do' list.

(Well, that's an assumption on my part. I practice non-attachment to 'to-do' lists, and was doing so even when I was a Southern Baptist.)

Most of my attachment manifested itself in one of three ways: the desire to 'take care' of someone, i.e., codependence (and not to be confused with compassion); the desire to own something; or pointless worry about something. As I've mentioned before, I think all of these are actually symptoms of some other problem, which is probably just ego (not egomania, or egocentrism, but simply the presence of ego).

I have profoundly simplified my life just by getting rid of attachments, and when I uncover another one, I'm grateful for the opportunity to simplify even further.

I used to wonder how people could stand to live in the relatively primitive conditions of rural communes. Not that I have any intention of doing it, but I can see now why it was attractive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will you wait to un-attach from me until after I'm gone, as in dead and gone?

mindovermary