Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Here's How I Roll

For as long as I've been able to drive, I've preferred major city streets to interstates, and neighborhood streets to major city streets. So, when I go somewhere, I frequently take a meandering route rather than the fastest, most direct one.

This makes some of my regular passengers crazy, although most eventually get used to it.

I'm sometimes absent-minded when I drive, and moreso when I have a passenger. Ms. HRP, Diane, Nurse Kathryn and even my ex have all been accustomed to having to remind me when to turn, or to point out that I'm actually getting farther away from my intended destination instead of closer to it.

When I was younger, I used to drive like a bat out of hell down residential streets. As I've gotten older, and become a homeowner myself, I've learned to have more regard for safety and quiet in neighborhoods. Plus, I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere. Even if I'm not in my own neighborhood, I try to drive like I live there.

Taking residential streets keeps me out of the traffic. I'm not as distracted by billboards and other signs. I like looking at homes, and checking out paint schemes and landscaping. Sometimes I'll make an unplanned turn just to see what's to be found down an interesting-looking street.

I guess it's obvious I live in an older neighborhood with grid streets. I've never liked cul-de-sacs, and I wouldn't live in a neighborhood that has them.

No comments: