Thursday, January 20, 2011

Meditation update and other notes

The meditation practice seems to be improving. When I last posted about this, I mentioned that it seemed to be getting harder rather than easier. But I may have just hit some bump I needed to get over. I'm doing better now, and I enjoy it enough that I don't have to force myself to sit.

My meditation space is in the back bedroom, all the way back in the far southeast corner of the house, away from the street. It feels very quiet and secure back there. I have to remind myself that the sense of security is false. It's all really very fragile, and inevitably headed toward its end someday.

A house around the corner from me burned the other night. It had been vacant and boarded up the whole ten years I have lived here. I had seen indigents climbing out a window one morning several years back; I assume they had slept there overnight.

Recently the owners began rehabilitating the house for eventual sale or occupancy. But the fire left the place a charred shell. What's left will fall down soon if it isn't demolished. That's the fourth house fire in ths neighborhood over the past decade, and by far the worst.

Snow is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

No comments: