Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nothing You Could Call a 'Relationship'

Years ago, a friend gave me a tape of a lecture on relationships by a self-help guru. I think the lecture was intended for recovering alcoholics and ACAs, but I'm not sure of that.

Anyway, among the bits of advice he gave was this: “Don't try to make connections with people you're attracted to.”

That seems sort of nonsensical. What are we supposed to do — hook up with people we're not attracted to? In a word, according to this guy, yes.

His reasoning was that those of us who grow up in alcoholic families can't make intelligent choices about relationship partners. We're drawn, at some subconscious level, to recreating the atmosphere that existed in our childhood homes.

I've had discussions on this subject with friends, and most agree with the premise. Where we disagree is on the subject of whether a person can reprogram himself or herself to be attracted to a different kind of person. My position is that we can't. I believe we can be educated to recognize when we are attracted to an incompatible person, but I don't think we can change the attraction.

This brings me around to my response to blogblah!'s comment to a previous post:

If by "successful" you mean only a relationship that's filled with laughter and dancing, great sex and lasts forever, we're all failures.
On the other hand, if by "successful" you mean any relationship in which you had some good times, a few laughs and a bit of snogging, you've had some.
The only relationship I know of that you've had that's been a bit of a "failure" is the one you have with yourself because you spend so much time with him even though you don't care for his company, which is a shame because you're really a pretty fun, smart guy and rather pleasant to hang out with.

First of all, thanks for the compliment.

But actually, I wasn't talking about relationships at all. None of these ever reached the relationship stage.

I think I've mentioned this before, in conversation if not here, but my tendency has always been to suddenly fall for someone after I've known them awhile — like a couple of years or more.

This rarely works out. In fact, it so rarely works out that I saw a cartoon about it on the web back in November. The guy makes his impassioned confession of adoration to his long-time platonic friend, and she responds with a sweeping condemnation of the guy's whole life — based entirely on his inability to provide conflict and drama — that I swear is an almost word-for-word recitation of what I had been told, and told more than once.

Part of the cartoon guy's problem - and mine — was that the guy's friend was a drama queen. She didn't want a 'relationship,' as I understand the word. She wanted some guy who would keep her life in constant upheaval so she could dish to her girlfriends about how dramatic it all was.

This, unfortunately, is the kind of woman I always fall for. Sometimes it's evident right from the start, and thanks to therapy and accumulated life experience, I can keep myself out of harm's way. But once in awhile, the signs are so subtle that I don't see them consciously until after I've already formed some emotional attachment.

So, here's what I know: if I find myself strongly attracted to a woman I've known for awhile, I've made a bad choice and I need to walk away. Once in awhile, I decide, ‘to hell with it, let’s see what happens.’ And the results are always the same — nothing you could call a 'relationship'.

I am too old for this stuff now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh eye sea.
well, that's a whole different kettle of fish, iddnt it?
ben dare.
It's damn hard for a guy to be friends with a woman and just friends. (See, for example, Billy Crystal's character in "When Harry Met Sally".) Part of the problem is that we intellectually know that a friendship is good and good for us and that the friendship is the proper relationship between us BUT we're hardwired to want to fuck them all. So, we turn the things we like about them as friends into the things we think we love about them and then the things we think we love about them into a justification for wanting to fuck them, especially when we have a hard time expressing our emotions and fucking them seems like the shortest route to saying how much we appreciate them as friends. Also, we think that we want our marriage partners to most of all be our best friend, who we happen to also fuck.
To some extent, this precise problem goes for both genders. Some women also think that fucking us is the best way to make a special connection and that it will smooth over whatever other problems there may be.
Alas, while I can identify with the problem, validate your concerns and experience, and lament the frustrations and failed expectations that go with the problem, I have no solutions for the problem nor advice and comfort beyond "been there."
blogblah

Anonymous said...

P.S. I suppose I do have one piece of advice. I've learned that if you do turn the relationship towards sex, that sex will almost always ruin the friendship. Long ago, I decided that when I face the problem of wanting to have sex with a woman with whom I'm friends, that I balance the cost/benefits and the almost certain loss of the good friendship has, so far, outweighed the barely possible benefits of sex because the possibility that it will lead to something better or more than the friendship is so slight and the likelihood of losing the friendship is so high. I think my early and instinctive attractions are better guides to romantic relationships than the later ones I've concocted between my ears after much twisted cogitation. Hope that helps.
Blogblah

Anonymous said...

P.P.S.
Also, from your description of the ones you decide you love as drama queens, are you indulging in a "knight in shining armor" syndrome? Do you love them or are you wanting to rescue the damsel in distress? Easy to confuse the two, but they are much different animals.

Anonymous said...

I have been in a relationship for 6 months today. It is with someone who has the same "issues" as me and so far so good. Sometimes it is very boring - we discuss this. I think the key is finding someone you are attracted to who has had the same realizations that you have had. Difficult but not impossible. I was alone for 4 years and thought there was no way I would ever be able to "go there again". Now I am having some fun, getting a little loving and so far not experiencing any drama. By the way, I think your description of women wanting someone they can fixate on to relate dramatic stories to their friends is 100% accurate as I used to be one of those women. Time will tell. My current relationship may disintegrate but for now it is really nice. Again, I believe we do so well because we have both had the same thoughts about relationships and decided to change. I hope we can sustain the relationship.

mcarp said...

Well, I'm done with the 'friendship to relationship' thing. And if I ever start dating again, I'm going to buy a navy blazer, worsted wool trousers, and a Ralph Lauren Polo® pinpoint oxford shirt. And a belt with an OU buckle.

And we're going to go to some noisy crap place out by Quail Springs, or some noisy crap place down by the ballpark. And we'll talk about the basketball team and Dancing With The Stars, and I'll make a couple of lameass jokes about Obama.

And that will be the date, and I'll take her home, thank her for a pleasant evening, and that will be the date.

That's all there's going to be to that.