Saturday, April 14, 2007

Well, what else... ?

I posted my plug for Vino e Donne last night after I'd watched about 20 minutes of it. I ended up going to bed with the DVD unfinished, and watched the rest of it this morning.

The most interesting thing about this for me was getting a better insight to some of the interviewees who I sort of know, but don't know very well.




Another subject: a few weeks ago, I was rummaging through old emails and found some I'd sent to a certain someone –– not a long time ago, but not recently, either. I guess I copied them from a previous computer. I rarely delete non-spam email, although I've lost a bunch over the years due to accidental deletions and hard drive failures.

In any event, I was somewhat –– what's the word I want? –– not shocked, really, but more than a little surprised at the tone of these emails. I had quoted Rumi to her. Talked about Zen and Buddhism and Taoism in the way that a person who had read a couple of books about the subjects would talk, which is to say from a self-assured position of near-total ignorance.

I didn't say anything I didn't mean, and I don't think anyone would feel uncomfortable with the sentiments themselves, but the tone in which they were expressed was, in retrospect, rather overwrought and maybe a little creepy.

At the time, I had the idea they were quite moving and meaningful. Looking back, they were the semi-ravings of someone who, while a long way from being completely whack, had significantly lost control over his emotions and let his inner state get pretty far out of balance.

I think a general rule of thumb could be that when you start quoting Rumi to someone, you'd better go look in the mirror and see if there's a crazy person looking back.

And yet, how many people do I know right this minute who are in post-relationship hangovers and want nothing more than to go out there and do it again?

I've heard, of course, the familiar analogy about being thrown from a horse.

But if someone stuffs you in a laundromat-sized clothes dryer, loads five dollars worth of quarters into it and lets you tumble for the whole afternoon, should you at the end of the cycle throw in more quarters and have another go?

1 comment:

Lark said...

Rumi would say: YES!