Monday, May 21, 2007

The deed is done

I set my departure date today - officially gone August 31, but because of accumulated leave, I'll be out in mid-July. (I have yet to take three consecutive days of vacation.)

This is the best job I've ever had. Others paid more, but with far more craziness/megalomania/etc.

But the job has reached the point where about 70 per cent of what I do is clerical, and only about 30 per cent is the stuff I was hired to do five years ago.

I could stay and be a comfortably-paid clerk, but the mind-numbing repetitiveness has worn me down.

I suggested, quite seriously, that a computer program could do most of what I do now, and that they should go that direction for my replacement, or at least hire an actual clerk instead of paying a creative-level person to batch process Word files into pdfs.

As for me, I can afford to retire (barring some economic cataclysm) and that's what I intend to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!
between you, book'emdano, The Gary and Oz, lots of gentlemen of leisure in the bubble this summer. Even tho I only work 1/2 days, it still seems a little unfair.
curses! foiled again! (pop culture reference. Anyone? Anyone?)
blogblah!!!

Nina said...

I am so envious of you!

Congrats!


hjjfz

wild walla walla wine woman said...

Wow Mikey! Good luck on your retirement. I haven't been connected to the Well for awhile so I am out of touch. However, I will probably go back in a couple of weeks.

I was going to post earlier. I saw a photo on your blog of your Beez. He is almost a spittin' image of my two cats - Crosby and Nash. For short, I call Crosby - Beez. Croz-beez - get it? heh.