Thursday, May 31, 2007

Depression and 'The View'

I guess I've been aware for awhile that Rosie O'Donnell has been a regular on The View – a show I've never seen.

And I'm aware, through the process of Shit-to-Brain Osmosis, that she has had some dispute with Donald Trump and some other dispute with Elisabeth somebody – begins with an 'H.'

Based on various cues I pick up on The Huffington Post and elsewhere, Elisabeth H. is somebody whom I should instantly recognize as An Important Person, and yet I can't even remember her last name, nor do I have any idea what she does other than argue with Rosie O'Donnell on The View.

One of the symptoms of my depression is that I lack enthusiasm for living.

This, I assume, is an example of that lack of enthusiasm. I don't know who Elisabeth H. is, I don't know what she and Rosie argued about, I haven't made any effort to find out, and I don't give a damn.

Why should I care? It's The View, for crying out loud, not the U.N. Security Council. And if it were the U.N. Security Council, I'm still not sure I'd care.

If I were more concerned about The View, and whatever Lindsay Lohan is doing this week (another Important Person I'm supposed to care about, even though I have next to no idea who she is or what she's done), would that indicate I'm less depressed?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People seem to care more about who will win "Dancing with the Stars" than how many of their fellow Americans will die in Iraq. More people (A LOT MORE) will vote for the next American Idol but never think about voting in a presidential or other political election. But alas, it just dawned on me: Could they possibly have the right idea? Might it be easier to just simply NOT CARE? Does it matter in the long run what one CARES about?

Anonymous said...

P.S. I like your Hubble picture series.

Anonymous said...

Ahem! Well, I will admit: Icared about the Dancing With the Stars outcome...

Possibly because as dzaster sez: it's all meaningless in the long run so one might as well amuse oneself.

Or maybe because there are always wars, and there will always be wars so long as hummankind has the need to pseudospeciate, and life goes on in the cracks -- around, under and through.

Mike, it doesn't matter what interests you, so long as something does. You're human. You're of this world. You can't become a thought balloon tethered by elipses to a giant question mark. The View is idiocy but there are plenty of things that aren't.