Thursday, June 28, 2007

I hate to waste sick leave on illness.

Reading Westika's blog post on Skipping School – especially the main part which really is about skipping work - reminded me of one of my axioms: "I hate to waste sick leave on illness."

Some of you have heard me tell the story of driving to work a couple of times in the mid-eighties, sitting in my car and looking at the building's employee entrance, and then backing out of the driveway and going back home to call in sick. That place was a full time drama-go-round, and there were days I simply couldn't bear to be there (although I would have to point out that most of my coworkers didn't seem fazed by it at all, and some thrived on it).

In my current job, we're allowed to take vacation time in 15-minute increments, so it's relatively easy to bug out for awhile - and as Crow said, 'if you in a bag, you gotta bug out.'

I've been bugging out more and more lately as my final day approaches. I don't hate the job - it's the best one I've ever had - but I've been doing it for five and a half years, and I haven't had three consecutive days of vacation.

The best job I ever had - but I'll be glad when it's over.

You've probably heard the expression 'If you don't work, you don't eat.' It sounds like some Protestant work ethic thing, but actually it's a Zen saying from Asia. And the idea of not working - even though I don't have to - still bothers me a little. I want to be doing something, and I guess I'll find something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The AIDS Hospice needs "stuff". Anything really. They would especially like VINYL OR LEATHER furniture for the day room. We will pick up. Does not matter how ugly just needs a little life left in it. Any old TVs? Contact dsazter (you can find me somehow) and I will buzz my little Subaru over and load up. Finally: BINGO PRIZES. Nik-naks, hygiene products (especially shampoo) or anything really fun. There is nothing too small. A pair of 50 cent earrings from a garage sale works. Snicker bars. Dollar bills. These people have NOTHING. They really enjoy trying to make their rooms more colorful as they are very bleak. Pictures, posters and blankets would be awesome. Clean out a closet and then contact me! Thank you. P.S. Cartons of cigerettes would most certainly gaurantee that the entire Hospice would be praying for you for the rest of time. Waiting on Godot, they sit and smoke and chat and watch TV and die.