Saturday, June 02, 2012

Clearing the cobwebs

I decided to go for a longish drive yesterday – longish, at least, by my standards. Once around the lake, then out into the far northwest corner of the city, then back home again. It was cloudy and 64. I didn't need my sunglasses, and I could open the sunroof glass and let some fresh air in.

Let's roll.
Although I generally don't wander far from the house in my errands, I do occasionally like to go for a thirty- or forty-mile meandering drive with no destination in mind. It gives me a chance to sweep the cobwebs out of my brain.

And when there are only three or four days every two weeks in which I feel like doing something other than sleeping and barfing, it seems wise to make use of them somehow.

It was also one of those occasions that I felt would have been improved by having a significant other with which to share it. But I've never known a woman who liked to just go on long drives with no other purpose than to drive. My wife would tolerate them, but that was as far as it went.

With other women, it was always, “Let's go to the mall,” or, “Can we run one or two or a half dozen errands while we're out?” or, “Let's go get mimosas,” or, “Let's go meet this other guy I like so I can try to provoke you two to fight over me,” or, when I still drove the minivan all the time, “I can't be seen in that.”

I've loved all the fantasy relationships I never actually had. The real ones, well, not so much.

3 comments:

Pam Henry said...

I love to go driving to the northwest of OKC... especially when I can see the bright green or golden wheat. One must drive much farther these days to see wheat fields. You have no cobwebs. Your Fan, Pam Henry

Phil Smith said...

Thanks for showing the link for this on your facebook. Looking forward to following. - Phil Smith

MiZBeeHaven said...

Driving to "Destination Unknown" is the best! Sounds like you live somewhere where one can actually take a "joy ride."

In SoCal, it's not very joyful as one must consider the hordes of others out "enjoying" the scenery.