Sunday, November 02, 2008

Happiness

I have to keep reminding myself of this: there is nothing I can do that will make me happy.

The important word in that sentence is do. I can't do anything that will make me happy. I can't buy anything, can't go anywhere, can't meet anyone, can't accomplish anything that will make me happy.

Because it doesn't work that way. It either comes from within, free of external connections and influences, or it doesn't come at all.

I still find myself thinking from time to time, "Wouldn't it be nice if ________________?" But none of those things would make me happy.

Besides, you know how I hate it when I'm happy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wouldn't it be nice...if________?
you just let yourself be happy...
happiness a state of mind... and
a choice...is it not?

you choose to be happy...or not to be....

anyway...i see happiness in you... every time...you sit and watch the birds...and squirrels feeding in your backyard!!!

mcarp said...

I don't know if a person can choose to be happy. Perhaps so, but I don't know what the process is for making that choice.

For me, getting crazymaking externals out of my life has at least brought me peace — peace that I probably would not enjoy if I were still immersed in those things.

But even being freed from externals was mostly the result of externals. It had more to do with events that happened to me than anything I did or understood or realized.

It's true that spending time with the birds and squirrels brings me peace, if not happiness. I think peace is probably better than happiness.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for quite some time now and I'm amazed at how you analize everything to smithereenz? anyway, life is life and it's what you make it. It's much easier to just accept life and enjoy it, but you won't be able to do even that, until you learn to love yourself and enjoy yourself, by yourself. I think you look for things and people to make yourself miserable. I'm not trying to bitch or nag, just making a statement from what I've observed for a few months now. You seem to be in a slump and don't quite know what to do with yourself. I don't think you are really comfortable in your own skin, so to say. But I do see great hope for you if you would just let yourself be liked by yourself first.

Nina said...

Peace makes me happy.





astromm

RJ said...

here ya go:

http://www.happiness.org/Resources/Happiness_Studies/What_is_Happiness.aspx

mcarp said...

Connie, you're not the first person, nor even the tenth or eleventh, to make that observation.

I guess it's true.