Saturday, January 16, 2010

Emptying the house

As I've written before, I'm in the process – the very slow process – of restoring order to my house.

Here's the hitch: there is so much stuff in this house that restoring order is, at the moment, all but impossible. As a prelude to the actual organizing, therefore, I have to empty the house.

I hate throwing things away. I hate throwing broken, worthless junk away, let alone the things which still work, but for which I have no use.

So, I have to change my frame of mind. I have to look at all this stuff piled up everywhere not as undiscovered or unappreciated treasure, but as an enemy that is cluttering my house and robbing me of my serenity.

It's not easy.

I'm still finding old software manuals and computer books which are too outdated to be of any use. Those are pretty easy to let go of, but they don't give me back much space.

What I really need to lose, I think, is furniture. I have three desks. The cheap, tacky, assemble-yourself desk is the one I regularly use. The one from the antique store is in the living room, functioning as a bookshelf. The small rolltop I bought when I first moved here (and which I had to drag myself from the second floor of Penn Square down to my car) is by far the nicest of the three, but it's small – the top is about big enough to hold a laptop computer and nothing else. It's currently just a repository for junk. I'm not even sure where it is. It's probably in the dining room, behind the extra dresser I'm going to just give away.

My sofa is too big for my living room. I bought it new, and never sit on it. But the cats have shed on it and barfed on it and scratched at it so much, it now needs to be reupholstered.

I have a really nice high-end dining room table and chairs. The table has never had a meal served on it. I could probably sell it and make better use of the dining room space.

My house is just a big storage locker. I can't say I actually live in it, so much as I store myself here, along with all the other stuff.

No comments: