Friday, November 19, 2010

More on Being Productive

what counts as "productive"? do you count all the work you've done improving your house and back yard and garage as unproductive? is blogging unproductive? is cleaning out all the crap from your house unproductive? is reading and improving your understanding of the world around you unproductive? is having friendships you nurture unproductive? I have a problem with the premise, obviously.

Blogblah! raises some valid points in his comment to my 'Boredom' post. I don't consider the work I've done on the house unproductive, but I was thinking in terms of things I've done myself, as opposed to things I've paid to have done.

House cleaning and decluttering is productive, but I think of that as more in the realm of regular maintenance.

But John is correct, I think, in suggesting that my philosophical pursuits have been productive, and that my friendships have been productive. I think I've been a better friend in the past few years than I've been during most of my life.

I have many friends who produce tangible, creative things. Sculptures. Paintings. Textiles. Songs. I was basically lamenting in my previous post that although I also have the ability to produce tangible, creative things, I have no motivation to do it. Over the past few years, my motivation has gone from 'low' to 'zero'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

been a long time since I raised a valid point. I seem to recall once asking the carpenter to raise high the roof beam, but I think that's a different deal.
for a guy like you, MCARP, it seems odd to hang onto a concept like "productive". That seems to me to be only a label someone else needs in order to make a judgment. I think you should just do what makes you happy, whatever it is you enjoy, and let someone else label it as good, bad, productive or something else. Then, tell 'em to go Cheny themselves and their judgments.
blogblah