Saturday, February 17, 2007

Bad advice

I gave someone bad advice today.

dzaster and I were in her car, in the middle of a discussion about Buddhism, non-attachment, freeing oneself of the addiction to drama and andrenaline rushes, and similar topics of mutual interest, when a purple inflatable ball about 30" in diameter came rolling down a parking lot. No one came after it.

We both commented on how odd it was for this ball to appear out of nowhere, with no one chasing it or following it.

When the purple ball reached the street, it turned south and went down the street.

"It's a sign!" I said. And then came the bad advice: "Go get it!"

dzaster stopped the car, got out, retrieved the ball, and put it in her trunk.

What I should have said to her was, "Wow, that was interesting. But now that we've had the moment, the thing to do is let it pass, carrying no attachment to the moment or to the object." And then we would have driven on.

But no. I thought not as a Buddhist, but as a guy with a house and a minivan full of crap. So dzaster, who has done more to simplify and declutter her life than anyone I know who is not living in exile in Nepal, now has a pretty much useless 30" inflatable purple ball in her trunk.

Sorry, dzaster.























But for God's sake, don't throw it away! It might be good for something someday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Mike, it didn't come rolling out of no where; wouldn't you agree it came FLYING out from behind that building? (It has a 60'circumference.)

After closer inspection of the squishy feel and texture when I returned home, I realized if I can find another just like it I am going to use them as breast implants.

Is this a sign from Anna Nicole Smith maybe? The ball is about the size of one of her breasts. Is she trying to give me a sign? Get out of Oklahoma quick? Augment my body so I can get laid, for God's sake? Die?

Or is it just a big purple ball?

mcarp said...

Before enlightenment, a big purple ball is just a big purple ball. Then, a big purple ball is not a big purple ball.

But later, a big purple ball is just a big purple ball again.

RJ said...

NOW, I have a headache!

mcarp said...

If dzaster uses those for implants, she's going to need a new jacket.

On the other hand, it would certainly give new meaning to the words, "The North Face."

Anonymous said...

I've had purple balls before.

Shit!

It's damned near 4 AM in Vienna, and you've got me thinking this stuff.

mcarp said...

It's 4 a.m. in Vienna, and you're reading blogs.

Now, whose fault is that?

Anonymous said...

No, it is not just a purple ball. It is a true sign that is yet to be revealed.

Anonymous said...

I take full responsibility for my irresponsibility.

It is a compulsion.

I am drawn to these Other Universes.