Friday, February 02, 2007

A time slice

I did part of the Paseo gallery walk tonight. On the way back up the hill from JRB, I was right outside Blue Moon and was suddenly struck by the way everything was in that moment: the cold, the lights on the street, the people walking by, patches of snow on the ground.

In that moment –– just that time slice of only a few seconds –– my life was exactly what I wanted it to be. There was nothing special happening, but I had a moment of perfect satisfaction.

I could go back to that same spot tomorrow night at the same time, and it would feel different and probably not as satisfying –– the same river twice, and all that.

I've had many moments like that over the past 20 years or so, but I wish I had more.

I wish I felt like that all the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often, daily almost really, wonder if people who do not suffer - yes, I said suffer - from depression feel that way all the time. The people you see at the mall and going to church and drinking at the Henry Hudson.

Anonymous said...

Going to the mall or places like Henry Hudson depresses the shit out of me.

Going to church makes me want to simultaneously laugh out loud and bang my head against a wall.

Maybe the secret is to avoid such places, I dunno.

Anonymous said...

I feel that way a lot, yes. And it's always the little things, like warm sunshine or good coffee or petting one of the cats.

Mike I'm glad you were able to notice the moment.