Friday, January 13, 2006

More on happiness

I'm not saying it's bad or undesirable to be happy. I'm just saying, 'what's the relevance?'

I'm happy. The sky is blue. The grass is green. Dogs bark. Birds sing.

I'm unhappy. The sky is blue. The grass is green. Dogs bark. Birds sing.

I'm somewhere between happy and unhappy. Same result.

Early on (one hopes), we figure out that the pursuit of happiness doesn't involve SUV's, plasma TV's, designere chocolate, etc.

Later, some of us begin to believe it doesn't involve successful relationships or personal achievement.

And some of us eventually think, "You know, maybe this happiness thing is a complete delusion. If there is no self, who is there to be happy?"

---

According to AP, Alito appears headed toward confirmation. Kiss your ass and the Bill of Rights goodbye.

No comments: