Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Toxic

I used to be, as I think I mentioned before, a pretty snarky guy. And I was good at it. Rapier wit. I sought to emulate the style (though not the politics) of Mencken and the Algonquin Round Table.

But you know what? That shit is toxic. It poisons everyone involved. We celebrate it, admire it, quote it. But it is toxic.

I snarked, therefore I was. I couldn't quit for a long time, because I felt that to cease being, as one of my friends called me, "Dr. Sardonicus," would cause me to almost wink out of existence altogether.

Then I decided I didn't care if I winked out. I couldn't go on being that kind of person. I couldn't go on being toxic to others and to myself.

But I still struggle with it. An easy target is hard to pass by. But I am doing better.

No comments: