Friday, August 29, 2008

Camera news

I've been taking pictures the past couple of days with a new Nikon D300. This is the first new SLR I've had in twenty or more years, and the first digital SLR I've ever used.

Several years ago, I bought an Olympus consumer-grade digital with a permanently attached zoom lens. It shot pictures that were acceptable for web use, but not for print. It used the old SD flash memory cards which were never more than 512 MB in size, and which are now almost impossible to find. There was also some blue fringing that seemed to get worse as time went by.

I really struggled with the notion of buying a new camera. If I was still working full time, it would be an easy decision, but I wasn't sure I'd have much use for it now that I'm retired. But over the past year, it has seemed like I need a good camera about once a month.

I have a lot to relearn about SLR photography, plus a lot of new stuff. Compared to my old Minolta film SLR camera, the D300 is like flying a space shuttle.

If nothing else, it means no more cell phone pix on the blog.

No comments: