Saturday, August 23, 2008

Passion and excitement

"If I have to live," she said, "I want to really live. I want passion, and excitement!"

I wasn't being prompted for an amateur dharma talk, so I remained silent and listened as my friend talked about her life.

But I am not the least bit about passion and excitement. And I think people who are generally are steering themselves toward a life of disappointment.

The Buddha taught that life is filled with persistent dissatisfaction. We are never satisfied. Some of us crave creature comforts. Some of us crave the respect or admiration of others, which is why we acquire status symbol possessions. Some of us just crave a constant adrenalin rush, which requires more and more drama, angst, passion and excitement.

Some of us, like me, just crave quiet, calm and more than the average amount of personal freedom.

But it's pointless to constantly try to fulfill craving. No matter how much we get of what we think we want, it's never enough.

Muscle ointments and creams don't actually do anything for your aches and pains. They simply create a new physical sensation that temporarily masks the pain so you don't feel it. Whatever was wrong with you when before you applied the liniment is still wrong with you afterwards. Soon, the stuff wears off and you're back where you started.

Fulfilling cravings – beyond the true necessities of food, clothing and shelter – is a lot like rubbing on liniment. There's some temporary relief, but eventually it wears off and you're back where you started.

I am no teacher or bodhisattva, but if I were I'd try to help my friend see this so she can be happy with her life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This notion of a life of passion and excitement is not one that particularly stands up to scrutiny on several levels, IMHO.

Do you mean passion like when you get your heart broken?

Do you mean excitement like when you are in a car wreck and paralyzed for the rest of your life?

I'm fairly sure that is not what your friend had in mind.

I have a nephew who is full bore passionate about baseball box scores. I mean that literally. It's his life and what he really really cares about. I suggest that one person's passion is another person's yawn and that passion must therefore be found within and not as part of some objective reality presented to us.

The same with excitement. Millions of people worldwide watch grandmaster chess matches (most of which end in draws) on the edge of their seat. You can get excited about whatever you want; it's not the event, it's the internal attitude.

To return to the Bhudda's teaching, passion can mean the mindfulness necessary to clean the rice bowl perfectly.

Excitement, passion, thrill, are already in your friend's life; she just hasn't noticed.

kelley said...

i have a feeling this blog is about me...i remember with great clarity saying those exact words... it is... i live my life with passion...and excitement... while you sit quietly...in your guilt...watching me dig in the dirt...i am digging with such passion...and such excitement... i am immersed in it with all that i am...there is only one thought in that one moment....
if there was no passion in planting your garden...the garden would not capture you as it has.....
when i am welding...sweating...and bleeding it is with great passion.. the welding reminding me of my strength... the sweating of my endurance...the bleeding of my mortality...
i'm no expert... but i see passion in your eyes... i hear passion in your words... and i feel passion in your presence....