Friday, August 29, 2008

Fence update


I didn't take any pictures today until after the fence crew had gone for the day, and after the storms had rolled in. So it's a little overcast. This is the new west fence, and this is the main reason I wanted a new fence at all.

The old fence, which had alternating pickets on both sides of the fence rail, allowed anyone to look through in either direction. It also provided almost no sound deadening. My next door neighbor pulled the siding off the east side out of his garage a few years back, so that when I was in my yard, I could look straight into his garage. In addition, he built a sort of guest house/den on the back of the garage, all made from scraps of plywood, corrugated sheet metal and palette lumber cadged from other people's big junk pickup piles. It wasn't particularly aesthetically pleasing, and any conversation among him and his friends in there was plainly audible in my yard.

I finally just abandoned my own back yard, since being out there seemed almost like I was sitting in his lap.

Now, all I can see of his garage is the roof line, and if today is any indication, I won't be hearing as much random noise from over there.

This is basically the section of fence that gives me my yard back.

No comments: