Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lo, More of This Random Crap


I took a stack of about 30 books to Half Price Books today. That comprises maybe 20 percent of the books I want to get rid of.

I've always hung on to books, rationalizing that books represent knowledge and wisdom. And frankly, you won't find a lot of junk books on my shelves. Among the things I took in today were Schlesinger's two-volume history of the New Deal and DeTocqueville's 'Democracy in America' — books that I had read once, then left unopened on my bookshelves for 20 years.

Maybe now someone else will read them.

Even after I've pared my library down to where I want it, I'll have dozens of books around the house.

I also gave away a bookshelf today.

1 comment:

Lark said...

Lark here.

Dozens of books doesn't really seem like a problem; I've got thousands. I applaud your ability to let go, and am going to give some thought to what is the attachment behind the attachment to my books. Needless to say I don't have room for them all.