Friday, June 25, 2010

Who would you see?

Another Facebook friend posted this as her status update: "Who would you see if you saw yourself walking your way?"

On the one hand, this is a question that directs your attention back toward yourself. From a Buddhist perspective, that's probably a pointless exercise. On the other hand, many of us wonder what kind of immediate impression we make on other people. This question prompts us to step outside ourselves and imagine how we appear to others.

In trying to answer this question, I decided I probably wouldn't even notice myself walking my way. I'm a pretty generic-looking guy; except for my height, I blend into a crowd pretty well. (My size is one reason my previously-documented Hawaiian shirt fixation is ill-advised. They make me look like a billboard for a florist. Neutral, solid colors are my friends.) I kind of shuffle when I walk, and I'm generally slow-moving.

1 comment:

John X said...

A koan is in order:

What is the sound of one gland napping?