Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Too much crap! Too much crap!

I am pretty far down on the personal possessions scale, yet I feel as though I am buried in crap. Last year I threw away or gave away probably a third of what I owned, but I still feel overwhelmed by that which remains. I think most people who know me would agree I am overwhelmed by it all. It is more than I can manage. My house and my car are cluttered and dirty.

Have you seen the JibJab cartoon about "Big Box Mart"? Sure, it's a shot at Wal*Mart and other big box retailers, but the cartoon is also an indictment of our materialist, consumer culture. When the guy sings, "Now my house is full of crap -- it used to be empty," I can totally identify with that.

I buy, therefore I am.

I came, I saw, I purchased.

Behold the product.

The weight of my crap is more of a burden on me than anything else in my life.

I don't do relationships well. And among the several reasons for that, the shin-deep tide of crap, ranging from computer parts to laundry to Wendy's bags, is probably at the top of the list.

I did have my turkey pot pie. I guess I should throw the box away, but now I can't find it.

No comments: