Sunday, December 11, 2005

What I'm reading

I had posted a couple of quotes from books I've been reading. I thought I would post more, but it's been inconvenient to do so.

But currently, I'm still working my way through On Love and Loneliness by J. Krishnamurti.

This is one of a new collection of books based on his however-many years of talks and writings. The content is chosen by topic, and is presented in non-chronological order. I don't think I can summarize it. I may be missing the point by saying that his views on non-attachment are like those of Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism.

I've also started Insight Meditation by Joseph Goldstein.

I do not meditate very much, and less lately than before. I have been more interested in practicing mindfulness throughout the day, and I feel I've been fairly successful in building it into my life.

I still overthink things. I still dwell on things long after the point where there is any value in dwelling on them. I have still not reached a state of contentment with a few areas of my life, and am struggling with trying to avoid a lot of manipulative or controlling behavior to change them to my satisfaction.

Of course, the controlling and manipulative behavior doesn't accomplish anything, except to make situations murkier and more stressful than they were before I decided to 'fix' them.

I've gotten off my original topic, so I'll stop now.

No comments: