Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What a drag it is getting old

I went back to work today, thinking I had turned the corner on recuperating from my weekend food poisoning/virus/salmonella/microwave weapon exposure/whatever. I lasted about 2 and a half hours then limped home, stopping to rest once on the two-block walk from my cubicle to the parking garage. I dragged myself up the front steps, laid down on the porch glider and slept for two hours before I ever got in the house.

I used to get sick like this and bounce back in a day. Then it stretched to two. Now it's five or six days. Sunday, I sat up in bed, my feet flat on the floor, my hands resting on my knees, and looked around the room. I was alert, not feeling especially sick or feverish or anything else. But my body would... not... move. The only tricks it was going to do that day were 'lie down' and maybe 'roll over,' so that's what I did. And went back to sleep.

If I was sick on a Saturday morning 1976, I'd just stay in bed, confident that by Saturday evening I'd be well enough to go out and get something to eat and maybe some aspirin or whatever. Now, I have to think in terms of being laid up for several days, and having some kind of first aid kit with Gatorade and Immodium AD and whatever else to tide me over until I'm well enough to move enough around again.

1 comment:

Lark said...

Have you been to a doctor lately? Because having it take that much longer to bounce back isn't really normal, even at our advanced age.