Wednesday, August 08, 2007

2:15 am

Just woke up from another TV news dream. In this one, a photographer tried to kill me and himself both by plowing the news car into a big installation of equipment in the station's parking garage.

(I never worked in a station that had a parking garage, btw. As is almost always the case with these dreams, this one happened in some place that was sort of an amalgam of all the stations I ever saw, either as an employee or a visitor.)

We were driving through the garage, and he kept accelerating. This big piece of equipment got closer and closer, and he kept going faster and faster. 'Is he going to stop?' I thought. 'What's he doing?'

At the last second, I grabbed the steering wheel, turned it, and caused the car to skid more or less harmlessly out of control. We still hit something, but not hard enough to cause injury.

I got out of the car and staggered into the station. There was a big commotion inside because the ratings had just come out and the station was number one. Everyone was yelling and cheering. I didn't recognize any of them. No one I actually knew was in the dream.

I tried to tell someone what had just happened. His name was Sam and he may have been a managing editor or something like that. But he was distracted by the ratings news and didn't want to talk to me. I got him into an office where we could talk privately, but then he took a phone call and I never got to tell him what happened.

Then my cell phone rang. It was the photographer, wanting to know why I had disrupted his plan. He told me he was waiting for me outside. I was trying to figure out how to get out of the building without running into him.

I remember the building was fairly new, but even so it was cluttered and the doorway to Sam's office was grimy and paint-chipped.

No comments: