Sunday, September 23, 2007

Passion, and the lack thereof

It's evident to anyone who knows me that I lead, by intent, a more-or-less passionless life. This is desirable from a Buddhist and Taoist perspective, as I understand it. And probably the reason this belief resonates with me is because my own life experience suggested passion usually produces undesirable results. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

At this point, I don't know if I could muster passion for anything even if I had to.

But I see people from time to time who put their passion to good use. I know several artists whose passion, coupled with a degree of self-discipline, helps them regularly produce work.

Today I listened to a woman with whom I am passingly acquainted talk passionately about her work with 'troubled youth,' and I wondered how someone develops the passion to undertake a job of that sort. If everyone had the same lack of passion I've developed, who would do these kinds of jobs for which no amount of monetary incentive could be sufficient?

At the same time, some of these same people have personal lives that I would find unlivable.

The turmoil and angst and drama in their lives is a product of the same passion that drives them to create art.

I wonder is there is a way to channel passion in a productive direction, eliminating the disruptive and the negative - or if one is inevitably tied to the other.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Passion without problems: Masterbation is the only thing that comes to mind.

Anonymous said...

:::snicker:::

blogblah says: of course, that's the only thing that comes to HER mind.

:::snicker:::

Anonymous said...

p.s.
"masturbation" is the correct spelling, just to get :::snicker::: things straight.

blogblah!!!

Anonymous said...

Now that we have the spelling down pat, can somebody explain to me what it IS and how you do it?

mcarp said...

Well, the first thing you do is sign up for a Blogger account...

Anonymous said...

I have had a long-running struggle with "don't-know" mind subtlely shifting into "don't-care" mind. I don't know if you have had the same experience, Mike.

There are Buddhist practices of taking passion or emotion and transforming it into positive energy. Tonglen is one example.

sweeney

Nina said...

What about being passionately in the moment?

Or is that just another way to speak of masturbation?



cgyik

Lark said...

All snickering aside, I think it's an excellent question and one I am trying to explore in my own life.