Sunday, March 16, 2008

More dreams

I had four very strange dreams last night. The details of one and two have since escaped me. Dream three, I remember vaguely, included a scene where I was in a car on a highway and the highway was being strafed and bombed by airplanes, including a passenger jet. But there were no explosions and no one was hurt.

In the fourth dream, I was driving north on Pennsylvania through Nichols Hills. I suddenly realized, as I was halfway through the intersection, that I was about to miss my left turn. I turned the wheel hard to the left without braking. The car rolled one and a quarter times, ending up on its side on the grass.

This was not my minivan, by the way, but a small blue sedan, not unlike one I actually saw smashed up in the aftermath of a traffic accident on N May Ave. Saturday morning.

I found myself lying on the grass beside the car, apparently unhurt. I fished my cell phone out of my pocket. It was damaged, but looked as if it might still work.

But before I could try it, a woman in a uniform appeared in front of me. She was relatively short, with Mediterranean features and log, curly brown hair framing a heart-shaped face. She resembled some actress I remember from years back, but I can't recall who.

I couldn't tell from her uniform if she was a police officer or an EMT or what. Her shirt was unbuttoned at the neck, and she looked as if she had either just gotten off work or was on her way to work.

She asked me if I was okay and I told her I though I was. I checked my cell phone again in case I needed to call for help.

We looked into each other's eyes for a moment, and then we kissed. I asked her her name, and she replied 'Aoss.' I didn't understand that and I asked her to spell it, which she did: "A - O - S - S."

Suddenly I had a felt tip pen in my right hand, and I was writing her name on the palm of my left hand.

"Can I get your phone number?" I asked.

Then, out of nowhere, an old friend from my TV days appeared. She also knew Aoss, and actually had come up to the scene to chat with her.

"Hey, Ann Dee," I said, "do you mind? I need to get her phone number before I wake up from this dream."

I turned back to Aoss, pen at the ready. "It'll be interesting to see if this stuff is actually on the palm of my hand when I wake up," I said.

Aoss opened her mouth to give me her phone number - and that's when I woke up.

The palm of my hand was blank.




Characters in my dreams often have weird names I apparently just make up on the fly in my sleep.

No comments: