Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'd like the universe, thick crust, with pepperoni and extra cheese...

One of the dangers of staying camped out in one's own head may be that it reinforces the perception of dualism, ie, that the universe is divided up into 'me' and 'not me.'

Right now, from my vantage point huddled under the blankets as noon approaches, it's easy to think of myself as apart from that world outside my front door.

On the other hand, reducing my universe to just one room of my house makes it much easier to cope with. Even getting up to go to the next room would expand my horizons more than I want to think about right now.

One way of looking at non-duality is to say, "I am the universe - and so are you." I don't need to leave the house, or even my bed, because the whole universe is right here, and there's no place I could go that would be 'more' of the universe than where I am now.

I guess I could get Pizza Hut to deliver.

No comments: