Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Home rehab

Ms. Home Rehab Person started work on my house Monday. Having given me back my yard, she is now undertaking to give me back my house.

This is the kind of work that makes my brain freeze up. I am quickly overwhelmed by it. I got on a cleaning binge once about four years ago and made remarkable progress, but I quickly fell back into old habits and the let the place slide again.

Ms. Home Rehab Person is more focused than I am, but I'm not much of a benchmark. I have trouble staying on task long enough to write a blog post.

Among other things on day one, she bagged up lots of old clothes and got them out of the house. She knew someone who would take them, which was more than I knew, and they're finally gone. The whole master bedroom was filled with old clothes. The bed was completely covered. It looked like the back room of a thrift store.

She told me she could get this whole project done in ten days, which I find highly unlikely. She then suggested the first of the year, which I think is more reasonable.

When this is done, I plan on spending most of my free time at home. I won't be out as much as I have been — I frequently left the house just to get away from it. It's time for me to retreat from the world and spend my remaining years in contemplation and reading. The so-called 'real world' was never mine. I could get along okay if I stayed in the shallow water, but I always had to avoid the surf. Now I'm ready to stretch out under a palm tree on the beach and let everyone else splash around in the water.

No comments: