Sunday, April 09, 2006

Dogwood update

I mentioned in a previous post tbe dogwood tree blooming in my front yard.

Last Thursday, high straight winds came through and snapped the half of the tree left by last spring's lightning strike. Today my next door neighbor and I cleared the broken branches away.

But since just last Thursday, new growth has started to appear on a remaining branch. Rather than cut the tree off at ground level, I left three feet of stump and this one remaining branch about five feet long to see if the tree can still come back.

I don't know what sort of odd codependence drives me to try to save this tree. But it's important to me to give it every chance to survive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is reminding me of the friend who was talking about his tulip tree and sent me a picture of what I call a magnolia tree. Turns out if you're from Arkansas, you call a magnolia tree a tulip tree. (To me, a tulip tree has tulip-shaped leaves and yellow/orange flowers)

At any rate, I think your dogwood tree is a flowering crab. A dogwood flower looks like this: http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cornus_f.cfm.

Both are beautiful and worthy of saving!