Monday, October 29, 2007

Leopard

Loaded the new version of OS X, called Leopard, onto my home Mac this afternoon, and had huge problems. This won't mean anything to you if you're not a regular Mac user, but the system hung as the Finder was loading. I got the spinning beach ball, and then the mouse and keyboard had only limited function.

Oddly enough, everything worked fine with the Camino and Firefox web browsers, and Safari was mostly functional. Other programs loaded slowly or not at all.

Some Googling on the internets led me to a page suggesting my problem might be caused by a system directory installed by the DivX video codec called DivXNetworks, and that my problem would be solved if I changed the directory name to DivX.

This isn't that easy if you can't boot the computer all the way up.

Eventually I got it into single-user mode (if you're a Windows user, this is somewhat akin to the DOS mode that used to load before Windows loaded on top of it) and made the change there, and sure enough it worked.

No comments: