Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another bitter, mean-spirited post

I hear people - artists, usually - talk about how the 'human body is beautiful.'

I suppose.

To me, the human body is a large slab of meat whose byproducts include shit, piss, pus, puke, phlegm, snot, sweat, toenails, methane gas and tiny flakes of dead skin. One of the first things a new community does (in modern times, at least) is build an underground infrastructure to carry away all the nasty stuff we produce so we don't have took at it, smell it, or think about it.

Artists talk about how beautiful the body is, but there's a reason Michelangelo didn't sculpt David sitting on the crapper and Botticelli didn't paint Venus changing tampons. If you're aware of any works by the Great Masters portraying someone with acne, let me know.

I understand some people are sexually aroused by shit and piss. To each their own. To my knowledge, though, no one is sexually aroused by pus or tiny flakes of dead skin, so maybe we need to open our minds more. Not that I've Googled those to be sure - nor do I intend to.

As I've said before, if someone could show me a way to detach my consciousness from my physical form and just float across the landscape like a cloud, I'd do it in a minute.

Oh - I forgot that crusty stuff on your eyelids when you wake up in the morning. But that's actually snot, isn't it?

3 comments:

Nina said...

When I blow my nose, stuff shoots out of my eye. That crusty stuff must be snot.

Beautiful, huh?

mcarp said...

Eew.

Anonymous said...

hello Mcarp

i fell upon your blogging by chance, looking for something else on the net.

I must say I love your words and your great sense of humor...thank you for sharing I have added your blog as a favourite.

with peace and compassion,

Rhonda

www.buddhabellyyoga.net

buddhabellyyoga@sympatico.ca

namaste