Saturday, May 02, 2009

Two rooms

I've made no secret of the fact I'm a horrible slob as far as my home is concerned - my car, too, most of the time. Except for a brief period when I was about 12 years old, I've been that way all my life.

I think I mentioned this before, but I once dropped a fork on the floor of my den. It lay there literally for months. I must have looked at it a hundred times. But not once did the thought pop into my head, "Huh. What's that fork doing on the floor? I should pick that up and take it back to the kitchen." It wasn't a matter of putting it off; it was a matter of my not being able to see that the fork was out of place on the den floor.

After a half-century of being this way, I don't think it's reasonable to expect that I'm suddenly going to have some transformation that makes me a neatness freak.

Thanks to Ms. HRP, I now have two rooms in my house that are clean: walls freshly plastered and painted, floors newly stained and refinished. The challenge now is to keep these rooms clean, when not a single strand of my DNA inclines me toward tidiness.

I find myself occasionally looking around my bedroom to see if there's anything out of place I haven't noticed before. It's a matter of looking, for example, at the chair and saying, 'All right, what am I seeing here? There's a blanket in the chair, but that's for the dog, so that's OK. There's a sweatshirt hanging on the back. That should not be there; that should be with the laundry.'

I don't think I will be able to keep this up forever.

2 comments:

RJ said...

I know a certain young lady who will be happy to keep your house up ONCE it is UP..if you get my drift!

Unknown said...

If you see your nipple clamps, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be leaving them out and you should put them away.

blogblah