Saturday, June 13, 2009

Self and non-self

I'm having some second thoughts about the whole non-self thing, which is a central tenet of Buddhism. Mostly, I'm wondering what difference it makes. It appears to me that people who don't believe in a self live their daily lives about the same way as people who do believe in a self. The non-self still has to eat, sleep, shit and everything else the self has to do.

I've read some of the scientific 'evidence' supporting non-self, and it's about as sketchy as the 'evidence' for creationism.

I'm just not sure what difference it makes.

3 comments:

kelley said...

holy shit...i think you're having a break through!!!

Trey Smith said...

Two halves of the same coin, so it doesn't really matter which side ya land on!

Unknown said...

Did you mean "break down"?

blogblah