Monday, December 07, 2009

Rollo update

I saw my cat, Rollo, wandering down the street this afternoon. I ran out and grabbed him and brought him in, and boy, did he not like that.

He hissed and spit and growled at me, at the other cats, even the dog. He's never liked the kittens, but he never hissed or growled at me, and he used to curl up and sleep with the dog.

Rollo had a small 'hot spot' rash on his stomach which has grown and shrunk the whole time I've had him. I assumed he kept licking at it partly out of stress.

That rash is now completely gone for the first time ever. I assume that's due to a combination of cooler weather and what he perceives as a less stressful environment outdoors.

I went to the pet store and got him one of those pheromone collars, plus some cat treats. He growled and hissed while I put the collar on him, but he didn't try to fight me. The collar seemed to calm him down a bit, and he calmed down even more after I hand-fed him some treats.

We have a chance for some winter storm weather tonight, so I'm keeping him in. But I guess if it's going to completely stress him out to be inside, I'll have to let him stay out.

2 comments:

Lark said...

Has someone else been feeding him? Sometimes cats just do up and move out, and move in with the neighbors.

mcarp said...

Yes, he was raiding the food my neighbor put out for his cat.