Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Back Projection Reality

Some days – and this was one of them – I feel a strange disconnect from my surroundings. I don't think 'alienated' is the right word, but I don't have a better one.


Bulldog Blackie and the Case
of the Mysterious Enigma.
Or something.

I'll be driving down the street, aware of what's around me – houses, trees, cars coming and going – but at the same time, I'll feel as if they are not quite really there. It's not as if they're unreal, but more like I'm watching some sort of movie.

You know how, in old movies, if a couple of people were traveling in a car, they'd have them in a mocked-up car on a stage and project a movie of a street behind them to make it look as if they were driving down the street? That's how it feels to me.

I can't say I like it or that I don't like it. I simply observe it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get the Swedish film "You, The Living" from Netflix.

It's a 90-minute visual representation of the condition you describe.

mcarp said...

I ordered this from Amazon. I haven't watched it yet, but I will soon.

Sumara said...

You could be moving from one dimension to another. People don't usually notice when they do that, so you have an observers advantage. You could become an explorer of other dimensions and see where that takes you. Have fun!

Randy C. said...

You could just have a little bit of indigestion.